BlogContact Us Today!
7 Facts About The Courier Industry
Thursday, 2 July 2020 at 17:17
7 Facts About The Courier Industry And How Delivery Has Changed Throughout The Ages.
The Courier industry is gaining more and more business owners as customers due to the quality of the delivery service provided. Most companies now rely on this particular kind of shipping option to cut down their company costs. Same Day Delivery Companies are usually chosen for their professional service, reliability, and safety. You feel relaxed and secured when you need a very important or fragile parcel to reach somewhere and you know that you have assigned this job to the most reliable delivery service.
Below are a few facts about the background of the courier industry.
1. It was 2400BC in Egypt when the first standardised courier service began. Pharaohs, during this era, started using this type of courier service to deliver their important documents and letters to various places.
2. Wells Fargo was the first and foremost professional courier service to start in the USA.
3. The words "courier" and "mail" are somewhat closely related but no one actually knows where does the word "mail" came from. It originated from the English word "male' in the medieval period where "male" implies "traveling bag".
4. Another fact that most people are unaware of is "Marcophily" is a subject in which people study in detail postmarks, hand or machine applied postal markings, cancellations, and postal system.
5. The United Parcel Service in 1907 was established by 2 teenagers in 1907 and was initially named as American Messenger Company. It changed the name in 1919.
6. A postal service company was built up in the United Kingdom in 1516 but the service was unavailable to the public till 1635. It was only after King Charles I came into power and this delivery service called Royal Mail was accessible to the commoners.
7. In London, "Mail Rail" was the only underground rail system that was used by the London Post Office to transport and carry out the delivery of mail. However, this service closed down in 2003 as soon as it became obvious that the cost of transporting mail in this manner was much more expensive than the usual above the ground delivery method.
Courier services have changed to a whole new level. The introduction of technology is assisting evolution. From localised, distant-specific delivery services to long-distance, overseas delivery to same-day delivery, the industry has come a long way. Also, with the use of smart technologies and IT, it's not going to be long before drones will be providing your package delivery.