BlogContact Us Today!
Seven Facts About The Courier Industry
Thursday, 25 April 2019 at 15:40
The Courier industry is gaining more and more business owners as customers due to the quality of the service provided. Most companies now rely on this particular service to cut down their company costs. Courier services are usually chosen for their reliability and safety. You feel relaxed and secured when you need a very important parcel to reach somewhere and you know that you have assigned this job to the most reliable courier service. Below are a few facts about the background of the courier industry.
1. It was 2400BC in Egypt when the first standardised courier service began. Pharaohs, during this era, started using this service to deliver their important documents and letters to various places.
2. Wells Fargo was the first and foremost professional courier service to start in the United States.
3. The words "courier" and "mail" are somewhat closely related but no one knows where does the word "mail" came from. It originated from the English word "male' in the medieval period where "male" implies "traveling bag".
4. Another fact that most of us are still unaware is "Marcophily" is a specialized subject where people study in detail about postmarks, hand or machine applied postal markings, cancellations, and postal system.
5. The United Parcel Service in 1907 was established by 2 teenagers in 1907, and was initially named as American Messenger Company. It changed its name in 1919.
6. A postal service company was built up in the United Kingdom in 1516 but the service was unavailable to the public till 1635. It was only after King Charles I came into power and this postal service called Royal Mail was accessible to the people for use.
7. In London, "Mail Rail" was the only underground rail system that was used by the London Post Office to transport and distribute mails. However, this service closed down in 2003 as soon as it came to the realization that its cost of transporting mails is way more than usual above the ground transportation.
Courier services have evolved and transformed to a whole new level. Introduction of smart technologies are further fueling the evolution. From localised, distant-specific delivery services to long distance, overseas deliveries to same-day deliveries, the industry has come a long way. Also, ith inception of smart technologies and IT, it's not going to be long before drones will be providing your deliveries.