Contact Us Today!
Next Entry

Do You Need Help Sending Goods Abroad?

Monday, 1 April 2019 at 15:34

Overseas courier service

Sending goods abroad and dealing with customs can be tricky if you've never don it before.

Below are some handy tips for getting it right.

iF you’re sending goods or gifts to a non EU country you'll need to fill in a customs form. If the UK leaves the EU with 'No Deal', customs forms will be required for all countries in the EU as well as outside the EU.

There are 2 different kind of form, depending on the value of the items. Make sure you use the correct one!!

  • For goods worth up to £270 use Customs Declaration Form - CN22.
  • For goods worth over £270 use Customs Declaration Form - CN23.

This form should be attached securely to the front of the package.

A customs declaration form must be completed for commercial mail. This must include a description of the contents and their value. It must also show they are commercial items.

The below items must be included:

1. Commodity codes and country of origin

Enter the commodity code and the country of origin fields in on the form. If sending more than one item, list these details in the same order as the items in the ‘quantity’ and ‘detailed description of contents’ fields.

The country of origin is where the goods were produced, manufactured or assembled. ie China.

You must attach a copy of the c ommercial invoice on the outside of the item. This invoice will help Customs clear your item.

It’s very important that sender’s name and address appear either on the CN23 customs declaration form If you’re using form CN22, attach these details to the item itself.

Ensure the declaration is completed as accurately as possible to allow the destination country to process the parcel.

If you do leave any details off customs declarations can lead to delays, your item being returned to sender or even seizure by customs.

You can get more information from the HM Revenue & Customs(HMRC) website.

Do EU countries need a customs declaration form?

If sending goods to any EU country you don't need a customs declaration form.

You should put the sender’s name and address on the outside of the parcel. This lets us return your item if it can’t be delivered.

EU countries a declaration form is required:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (not including the Canary Islands) and Sweden

Do I need to complete a customs declaration form?

If you're sending goods to the Channel Islands you will need a customs declaration form.

This includes Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Herm and Sark.

Gifts and goods sent to Jersey may be liable for Goods and Services Tax (GST), currently 5%.

How do I get proof of export if I’m exporting items overseas?

If you’re busines is VAT-registered, you will need to present customs with proof of export.

You can get a Certificate of Posting (COP) at the Post Office® branch when you post your item. You can also get a signed certificate if you use our Business Collections service.

An export licence is required for some goods. These include, but aren’t limited to, military goods, animal products, medicines, antiques and works of art.

You can get more information from the Export Control Organisation (ECO).

The ECO is responsible for regulation and licensing of so-called dual-use goods and military goods. It issues various types of licences. The terms and conditions of these must be followed by exporters and individuals at all times.